Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ocean Fishing

Probably the highlight of our trip was going out from Westport to do bottom fishing on the Tequila Too. We left Seattle at 3:30 AM to drive to Westport, ate at a little diner in town, and got on the boat. It was a rocky ride to our fishing spots, with relatively choppy waters. My dad was thrilled, and thought he was on a roller coaster.



I thought I was going to enjoy it, too, but I got seasick. My kind father mocked me for it, saying that "real men don't get seasick". Thankfully Mom reminded us of a time when Dad was throwing up on a ferry boat. He had conveniently forgotten that. While I would have preferred to not be sick, I think it provided for a much better story for everybody else, so I am glad to provide that service.

Koleman absolutely loved it. We stopped at three or four spots and got 48 fish (rock cod, or rock bass, or rock bottom cod, or sea bass, or whatever you want to call them), which was well below the limit for 9 fisherpersons and two crew. When we got to the last spot, the captain told us to "drop your lines and pull them in as fast as possible!" He knew he had found the right spot. We caught 60 fish in 30 minutes. The bottom of the boat was filled with 6-8 pound fish. Very cool.



Here is Michelle stealing all the fish from my uncle Dennis. Michelle caught more fish than anybody else on the boat, naturally.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: