Tuesday, October 07, 2008

More Food

First, the good news: for the past 24 hours my computer has been naughty to me, and I was even approaching the time where I figured I would have to visit the Geek Squad. Thankfully I was finally able to load in Safe Mode and do a System Restore. I'm sure you are all greatly relieved to hear that.

OK, back to Sicily. In a previous post I showed our visit to the markets to buy some octopus. That night it was time to make and eat it. While I didn't involve myself in the preperation, I did join in the eating. Michelle did help Susan in the kitchen, but there just wasn't room for me.

The first task was to de-gut the little buggers. Apparently they have some kind of plastic piece in their insides, which needs to be removed. It's a bizarre thing - for a critter which seems like it should be so soft and squishy, it doesn't make sense that there is a long, hard bit of molded plastic inside it. But who am I to criticize?



Here's a nice view of one of our octopi, right next to the implement of its destruction.



And a closer view, to show just how darn cute it is.



Here's the important thing, though - the final result. It was fantastic.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Scooter said...

That's not a squid or a cuttlefish? It looks rather pointy for an octopus.

Matt, Susan, Isabel and Penelope said...

Have to comment, especially having seen "scooter's" question. When you're talking about food, you call it Calamari. The animal is squid, which is related to, but a different animal than octopus. Come on, Kevin! What do they teach you in Fargo?

klund said...

I found it more funnier to call it octopus. Squid is such an icky word.

And you don't really want to know what they teach in Fargo.