Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Grandpa at the Races

This is a blog post in honor of Grandpa Gary and his incredible skill on wheeled non-motorized vehicles. He claims that he is a good bike rider, but after viewing these pictures, you may wonder.

As you can see, Gary is clearly in the lead here. He has challenged two six year olds to a scooter race, and jumped out to a quick lead.



As they approach the first turn, Eli sneaks past, but Gary is still comfortably ahead of Milena. (And don't worry about the track maintenance person)



Now Milena has caught Gary on the second turn, and uses her delicate skills to effortlessly slip past her grandfather.



From first to last, Grandpa now tries to retain some dignity by not finishing too far behind his granddaughter.



I think it is safe to say that a scooter race on our driveway against six year olds is comperable to a bike race against adults. Based on this evidence, he may have to retire.

And for more fun, here is a video of Grandpa racing:


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am forced to defend my honor and the honor of all grandparents. If I whipped those little critters, then your blog would accuse me of not being fair to the grandkids. After all, I allowed Eli to repeatedly beat me in Wii boxing, tennis and bowling.

Let’s get out the big bikes and see how they do, for that matter, let’s see how my SON’s do!

klund said...

I don't race on bikes. I believe that it undermines the integrity of the sport. Biking is for enjoyment and exercise, not to be sullied by ugly competitiveness.

Anonymous said...

If you want to discuss a sport with ugly competitiveness, then lets talk about Basketball. Why, they let 7' tall people play it who don't even have to jump. Play basketball all day and you are only a few yards from where you started.

Now, biking, that is a real sport. That is such a nice way to leave your adult children in the dust.

Do you think the Tour De France is UGLY? No, it is beautiful. Playing the March Madness games inside a domed stadium is a waste. Terrible scenery.

klund said...

Bicycling - beautiful?

I rest my case.

Anonymous said...

Based on the photos...I think the Lund family eats a lot of waffles.